Sunday, June 15, 2008

Why do grocery stores make it hard to eat healthy?

After the gym I made an attempt to buy a few things.




Sweet Potato.

Apparently Safeway has been out of them for awhile. I asked if there was a Sweet Potato shortage I wasn't aware of. :-) So, I wanted to talk to the Produce Manager and he was on a day off. Hmm, so I looked through their produce and Mann's makes a packaged (overpriced) cut sweet potatoes fries so I grabbed those so I could make Darlene's latest tasty recipe, Indian Spiced Lentil Burgers.

I've also come to the conclusion that i don't enjoy shopping at Safeway and will focus on shopping at Sobey's, Save On and Planet Organic. Today was the clincher for me when I went to go look for something to eat the lentil burgers on and I came across row of row of frozen bread products, pitas, wraps, etc. I asked the fellow there and he told me, "You'd be surprised all the products that arrive frozen". I told him that I don't mind buying it and then freezing it but that was my choice and I don't want to change the nutritional and freshness factor copromised if I can help it. Interesting...

4 comments:

Darlene said...

yup, you're on the same journey I took. I came the same conclusion too - Safeway sucks. It really does.

Their organic section is pathetic. The stuff they carry mostly crap outside the produce department.

I started going to Save-On more too, and now pretty much exclusive to Planet Organic. We only run to Safeway if Planet is closed and we need something for a recipe on the go.

Darlene said...

PS - at any grocery store, remember to shop the perimeter. Meaning most of the stuff down the aisles is complete crap.

If you want a wrap or pite - get a brown rice one, or spelt pita. They have those at Planet too.

Scott Tousignant said...

I agree with Darlene.

Shop the perimeter. This makes grocery shopping easy. You don't have to waste time reading labels. You're only eating the natural stuff with one ingredient... the product itself.

I'm in and out of the grocery store in 15 minutes.

Living a life of optimal health is a constant education. Many learning experiences present themselves along the way.

Keep up the great work Christina.

Scott Tousignant
http://www.UnstoppableFatLoss.com

onesmartcookie said...

Yes, I know what you're both saying. There are aisles I don't even go down anymore! Ie, Pop ,Chips, Baking...