Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Beachcomber.


If you just look at all that already exists in your life, all that you already have: unlimited air to breathe, ample lighting to see, music to hear, books to read, stars to dream by, trees to gaze at, floors to dance on, friends to cavort with, enemies to befriend, strangers to meet, woods to walk through, beaches to comb, rocks to scale, rains to cleanse you, rivers to float you, animals to comfort you, you do have to admit, Christina, there's more of it than you could ever, ever, ever spend.
But try anyway.

Isn't it funny how we travel to enjoy our holidays or to do things that we wouldn't normally do? For me, it was walking along paths with the auntumn leaves and beachcoming along the ocean. Why do I not take the time to walk the paths in my own back yard or listen to the calls of the birds nearby? I thought about this while we were staying at a B and B on Stephenson Point in Nanaimo BC. It is located next the to oceanside Ecological Station in Nanaimo and is rich in wildlife and marinelife. I could choose to walk to the gazebo to watch the waves crash and seals cavort in the sea or I could walk along that pathways to watch the Kokanee Salmon or walk along the seaside to watch the sandpipers scurry across the pebbles. If I was simply lazy I could walk out the front door and watch the deer eat the grass or nibble on nearby trees. I remember the owner saying, "I'm sure you think they are cute but they are eating my plants". I was disappointed to hear him say this because he truely didn't realize the beauty he had in his own yard. Each morning we were greeted by a spectacular view of Departure Bay which on any day would include ferries, tugboats, floatplanes or at night we could hear the loons calling.

Had I taken the time to see what was in my own backyard before I ventured out to another city? No. Simply no. Why? I'm like everyone. We are quick to make excuses or proclain, I don't have the time! There is no time like the present to take part in life.

OSC

No comments: