Sunday, July 25, 2010

Pushing Past the Comfort Zone

When you overcome resistance, you create the power to continually reach higher

We decieded that after dinner we would go for a walk because it was incredibly hot inside our home and I didn't have an opportunity to get any exercise into today other then the 12,000 steps I put in at work.

Many times we had talked about going down the path along Blue Quill that had been recently cemented into biking trails but like many things, it was just talk. Instead we opted many times to do other things instead that would take less effort. We are fortunate to live in an area lush with trees, wildflowers, flowing water, birdlife and only a ten minute walk from our home.  How lucky am I!

The walk started off at 8:30 PM when the sun began setting. As the sun began on its slow decent, the air cooled and a light breeze came in. As we walked and took the time to drink in the trees, the flowers, the lushness that the rain had brought, the blue sky with its hints of pink and were surprized at how quiet it was this Saturday night in July.




How many times have I taken myself out of situations because I told myself it would take too much effort physically or because I told myself I couldn't do it! I was moving my body, it felt great and guess what.. I enjoyed it!

It had been two years since I had walked that path and at that time, I was more out of breath, more tired and bailed early on in. This time was very different. We walked along the path through steep inclines and at one point on an upward climb I thought to myself.. OMG! My heart pounded in my throat and I had a strong feeling of discomfort. Discomfort is something as a society we are told we need not endure but at that moment I realized that in life there will be some discomfort and in order to acheive my goals it must come. It will come and then it will go. Its that simple.

Comfort zones are often explanded through discomfort

Two years ago I had to have my inhaler with me and had to take many breaks. This time, as I looked up towards Mike who was well ahead of me, I was determined to make it to the top and rest on the fence ahead of me and I can do this I told myself. I made it to the top, no inhaler in hand and rested as I got to the top. I took several deep breaths and I saw the wooden sign. I made it. I did it!



The hill took us to the Rabbit Hill Road where we decided to walk along the pathway back to the condo. I was very tired by that point but pushed myself to make it back. I told Mike that I will keep going but be prepared to come back and pick me up in the car if I collapse. Just as I said that we saw two Ambulances drive by. If I continued to live my life the way I was, then was this not a message the Universe was sending me at that very moment?


2 comments:

Holistic Beauty said...

Wow......what a definite sign from the universe!! Roaring sirens, red flashing lights & all!

onesmartcookie said...

Indeed! Yes, today's service at the Centre for Spiritual Living also included eating, food and our own beliefs of self worth.. Hmmmm....