Thursday, October 18, 2007

Reading the Labels on Your Food


Do you read the labels on your packaged food?



Things you should look for on the label is the serving size. Remember, take that into consideration for portion control. I made the mistake in the beginning of thinking that the serving size was what I was putting on my plate. When it fact, I might be eating two servings!


If you are counting calories, you might want to be aware of the calories but also take into the nutritional value by knowing the Saturated/Trans Fats, Fiber and Sugar content. My big takeaway from today's class was finding out what per centage of my daily requirements are in the food I'm eating. When I got home I went through the pantry and found out that my husbands favourite soups had 38% for a 1/4 cup of soup of his fats for the day. Other labels surprized me at the amounts of sodium and believe me, not all tuna is created or canned equally!


Hydrogenated Fats are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Avoid! Any liquid fat that comes in solid form is not good for you.


No comments: