Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why am I really hungry?

Have you ever taken the time to think about why you are eating before you take a bite of food?

There are three types of hunger:

Stomach: You are physically hungry and eating for your health. IE, you get up in the morning and make breakfast to put fuel in your body to start your day.


Mouth: You have a craving for food with a particular flavour, texture or aroma. Ie, Sugar, Salty, Savoury. Chocolate, Dessert, Potato Chips, Cheese.


Heart: Eating in response to an emotion; or a learned response or behviour. Ie, sitting in front of the tv and eating your feel good item.

Take one day to do this exercise: Each time you are about to eat, say to yourself HALT. Each letter will represent a feeling. For example, H=Hurt, A=Anxious, L=Lethargic, T=Tired.

My experience happened the other day, at 4 PM. In our office area, many of the offices have treats on the desk and its a meeting place as everyone begins to drain out at the time so it a communcal spot. I picked up a pievce of candy, and as I put it on the edge of my tongue I said outloud,"I don't want this, why am I eating it?" I then threw it into the garbage. So, now at that time I make sure I pack a piece of fruit to munch on instead.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Or almonds of course. Or celery with nut butter. Or a meal replacement shake. Lots of healthy options can be prepared ahead