Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Emotions and Circumstances





Awareness. I am becoming more and more aware of my triggers.

I was aware of some of these triggers but last night really hit home for me. On our way home, Mike said to me, "What are we having for dinner?" I began to think what healthy meal I could create for both or us or what I could take out of the freezer that I had already created.

Then, the words. "Let me treat you to dinner tonight".

"Sure, sounds great". I hadn't had an afternoon snack and I was getting irritable from hunger so I took the bait. Hook, line and sinker. With that said, we were in the parking lot of Boston Pizza and I ordered from their Pasta Tuesday menu.

Along with the food came the feelings of.. guilt. Then, after the meal was done and on our way home I felt incredibly full, guilty and definately not in a happy space. The next two hours I beat myself up and felt like a failure.


Today, I make a list of my emotions: Before the meal: Irritable, rebellious, deserving. After the meal: I felt comforted, content, grateful. 30 Mins later I felt: Remorseful, Self Disgust and Tired.

I accept and realize there are times that with regards to food I will say yes when I want to say no. That happened last night. The food was ok but if I was to splurge once in that week, I would have chosen something much more desirable to me.

I am in control and stand in my own power. Who will deny me the ability to live a healthy and happy life if they truely love and support me?

People pleaser. To some extent we are all people pleasers and considered an admirable behaviour but it has less then desirable consequences for me. This creates emotions like resentment, anger and trigger problematic eating.

I stand in my power and will act assertively towards my health. It is a skill I have had to develop in my personal and professional life.

How many times have you been coaxed into eating while at a function, party, celebration, or while ordering food? Take note of situations or people that may be triggers and continue to practice saying no. Ie, second plates of food at a friends or family members home, social functions.


I am putting myself in control. Saying no to temptation isn't a matter of willpower, it about learning new ways of thinking and behaving.

Use your mouth to speak, not to eat.
Don't be afraid of the consequences. The consequences are self respect, standing in your own power, making your choice and self empowerment.

1 comment:

Rob - @formerfatguy said...

Thats pretty powerful self observation / awareness