Tuesday, October 24, 2017

How did that happen?

Sometimes life has a way of creeping up on you and you suddenly give your head a shake. As Homer Simpson would say I had my  "D'oh!" moment.

This past Saturday afternoon and I was binge festing on The Walking Dead in preparation for the season premiere. Popcorn in hand was a bowl of theater size in my lap and pajamas I realized that this bowl of popcorn was all I had eaten all day.  Hmmm...not good.

No wonder I felt like crap with a capital "C". I had a headache. My joints signalled the weather change. I felt fatigued and was content to park my butt on the couch. Now 50,  I was feeling much older and in recent month been prescribed blood pressure medication as well as acid reflux medication by my doctor.

Some of my habits had now caused me to take medication to live a "normal" life and I knew that if I continued at this pace I'd also be on cholesterol as well as other medication. Everyday, I saw people coming into the hospital with mobility issues, breathing issues and other health conditions because of the same things I was doing.

This scared the shit out of me and shook me to the core. It was that afternoon I stepped onto the scale after five years and as the digital reading appeared, I cried. It wasn't -- How did this happen but, How did I* allow this to happen!?

Sharing this is not one of my proudest of moments but I do believe in transparency and a public declaration of my goals in order. You see, I then need to be accountable to whoever the readers of this blog will be but most importantly myself!

No comments: